Saturday, January 05, 2008

Best Gift Ever


My mom gave these sweaters to the girls for Christmas this year, but it was really a gift for me. You see, these are my sweaters. My grandma knitted them for me when I was little.

Grandma had tons of grandkids and she used to knit us sweaters all the time. When her Alzheimer's began to advance, it broke her heart because she couldn't keep her place in her knitting or read a pattern anymore. Grandma died in summer of 2006 from the disease and I felt like she had been lost a long time.

I had no idea my mom kept these sweaters - I haven't seen them since childhood. I feel like I got my grandma back, the one I remember.

And to me, that's what Christmas is supposed to be. Getting something you didn't even know you needed. Something special you can't buy in a store.

This year for Christmas, I got back the love and memory of my grandma, built into two sturdy little cotton sweaters she knitted for me by hand.

5 comments:

Happy Veggie said...

That is the best gift. I really wish that everyone saw Christmas that way.
I have a very special kid sized scarf my grandma gave me one year for Christmas that I'm saving for when Sprout is ready for it, and hopefully can appreciate who made it.

Anonymous said...

Oh! How very thoughtful. My grandma used to knit us a hat every year. One year she made a hat AND mitten set. It was royal blue. I wish my Mom had kept them. I'm sure she gave them to someone who really needed them though. I'm sure as a kid I didn't apprecaite it quite as much as I do now though.

I'm going to have to go out and learn how to knit so when I become a grandma one day, I can knit some beautiful this for my grandkids.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Aw! *Tearing up*

(Yeah, sappy stuff like that totally gets me every time. It's just so awesome!)

Allknowingjen said...

ditto what ms. huis said! *sniff* And they are cute too!
I've got a couple of things like that that my grandma made for me and I just love having them.

Pusher said...

Aw! That's so tremendously sweet. What a wonderful gift.