Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Green things I do

Since my interest sparked in greening my life, here is a list of things I'm doing right. So it doesn't seem so bad about the things I do wrong.
  • I now make my own coffee in a french press at work instead of buying it from the shop downstairs, so I no longer use a new cup and lid everyday (not to mention the money savings). The press doesn't plug in, so I am only using the same energy for the water machine that would already be used. I drink a smaller cup of coffee every day, so I drink the entire cup and it no longer bothers my stomach and I am using less water (1/3 of the water consumption in the US and Europe is used to make coffee!!).
  • I ask for no bag at stores as much as possible and try to carry a bag with me. Target just came out with a great one that zips into itself so it fits in a purse. It ends up about the size of a checkbook.
  • I take 3 minute showers. I really just don't have the time to take longer ones, but it still counts.
  • I always turn the water off when I brush my teeth and when the girls brush theirs.
  • Pants and I carpool to work.
  • All our outside water comes from our well.
  • I give old stuff to goodwill instead of throwing it out, if it's still usable.
  • We recycle all electronics. We also now have a small plastic bin in the hall closet for compact fluorescent bulbs and batteries that need to be recycled.
  • I have switched to Aveda products because they offer refill sizes and don't use pressurized sprays.
  • I refuse to buy anything new until I have used up what I have. This applies to shampoo, body wash, cleaning products, hair products, makeup, and anything else I have had a tendency to purchase new when I have tons at home. I figure it's even more wasteful to throw out products that are bad (wasteful, toxic, etc.) than to just use them up. The cat's already out of the bag, right?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're working hard at it! I do many of the same things---except coffee. I don't do coffee at all.

I hope you don't mind if I share a few ideas on what I do! Many of these may not occur to people. They not only save the budget, but also the environment.

Other things I do: I pack lunches in coolers rather than paper bags. Make sandwiches and put them in reusable plastic containers instead of plastic bags(as well as reusing plastic bags when I do use them. After all, how dirty does a sandwich make a baggie?), I buy economy sizes and package my own smaller containers of applesauce, etc into small reuseable containers. All lights are CFL's if they are available in that size. I try not to use any lights inside at all if it is still light outside unless it's so overcast that it's too dark for that. Also all shower heads are low-flow, installed water heater blanket and insuated hot water pipes, I keep my water at a lower temperature too (also kids can't get scalded with hot water then). Did you know it also takes less energy to maintain softned water in the water heater than is does hard water? Oh, and I have energy star appliances and rarley use hot water when washing clothes. I also don't use paper towels or napkins, I use clothes and wash them so I don't fill landfills with disposed of towels.

Good green work!

Allknowingjen said...

I've heard rumor about the Target bags, but I haven't seen them at my Target(s) yet. grr!
Though I do already have two that zip up like that so I probably don't really need more- but I am a fool for target

Allknowingjen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pusher said...

Oooh, reusable Target bags! Maybe that would mean I'd stop getting crusty looks from the Target employees when I bring in my Byerly's bags (which are also awesome — super sturdy, and they self-fold into about a 6" square with a snap closure).

You have a good list here! I'm especially impressed by the three-minute showers. I fail at getting under 15.

Happy Veggie said...

Got some target bags. The zip in themseves ones don't have bottoms, but are still very handy. Cub also has bags now, same stuff as Target bags, but with a hard bottom. I loaded mine up last night, and they worked great. Not bad for a buck each (both Target and Cub ones). I think this will solve my bag problem.