Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Starting over

Yesterday, I unraveled my 106 stitch by 44 row crochet of a poncho that I have started at least 4 times already. This was the farthest I had gotten on it, only to hold it up and find the sides both laughingly uneven. I'm talking inches off. Ah well.

As a reaction to this Christmas, I have started crocheting and will pick up knitting this year most likely as well. I also bought a pocket knitter, which is sorta cheating, but it makes really nice stitching and it's really easy to use. Not a ton you can screw up with it.

Back to Christmas. With the gift of my grandmother's sweaters, it has become clear what I need to do to take back Christmas. I need to make gifts that mean something, at least to someone. I need to give my kids something that lasts longer than the Fisher Price Little People Airplane.

So I am getting crafty this year and making things. Poorly, but I'm still trying.

4 comments:

Kashka said...

Our Fisher Price Little People stuff crossed over into "Heirlooms" (aka, "Don't you dare throw this out, Mother"). But I understand that not everyone played with them as obsessively as we did.

The Sexy Blonde said...

If you want a knitting lesson, I love to give them, though I think other's have easier ways of casting on than the one I know...

I still have the 2 baby blankets that were made for me. I need to ask my mom who actually made them. And I've got all the kitchen hand towels with crochetted tops, the queen size blanket, and the doll with crochetted dress that you use to hide a role of toilet paper -- all made by Grandma, whose hands shake so much now she can't do it any more. You're on the right track with taking back Christmas!

Anonymous said...

YAY you! I think it's great to try to make it less materialistic for you girls. I am trying to do the same. I have yet to try my hand at knitting though. Practice amkes perfect though, the more you do it the better you'll be. Heck, by the time you're a grandma you'll be as excellent at crafting as you can be! I still have all of my homemade treasures as well. They mean so much more than the store bought things.

Happy Veggie said...

Yeah, if you need knitting help, let me know. And tell me when Stich and bitch is. I would love a kid free night to craft. Or to let her play with other kids.