Wednesday, November 22, 2006

My child has a leash

I have purchased a harness and leash for my daughter. This is something I absolutely swore I would never do before I had kids (like feeding them hot dogs and Kraft Mac & Cheese) but that I buckled under and did as soon as the opportunity presented itself. I misunderstood the entire purpose of the leash, as I have done with so many other baby items.

I thought the leash was meant to keep them safe from strangers who wanted to grab them. Turns out, it's meant to keep them safe from their own worst instincts, i.e. - Kitten's instinct to run off at the first opportunity and play with whatever is at her level.

My MIL is horrified by the leash and thinks it would make her look like a dog. Which doesn't really matter, because in her presence, there are usually plenty of people available to watch both children like hawks and provide whatever attention they need the second they need it. When I'm alone, there's only one of me and two of them.

My mother is wise enough not to weigh in, or at least far enough away not to be embarrassed.

So what's your thought? And let me preface this by saying I really don't care whay you think, but I'm curious where people stand on it. I will continue to stake my daughter out in the yard on her leash when she annoys me, no matter what you say. Oh wait, was that out loud?

6 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

As a fellow child-leasher, i just gotta say it's too hard to keep hold of their hands when they want to get away. Toddlers don't have impulse control and so they just GO when the urge takes them. It's either strap her in the stroller or put her on the leash if I'm going out in public with her 'cuz it's just too hard to keep up with her otherwise. Not to mention she'd knock over things on shelves, walk in front of people causing them to step on her or fall over, and grab whatever her little eyes saw and heart desired.

And I've only got the one to keep track of!

Kashka said...

As a non-parent, I have to say that I think they're fine. Far better that you have your kids on the leash than they're all over the place (and getting hurt, because I'm not going out in the street for kids I don't know again). Monkey's Paw hated his and would flail around in it, which we used to use for entertainment back when we used to sit around and drink. Ah, good times.

Anonymous said...

I love parents who leash their children. It means I'm less likely to run over them with my car, grocery cart, big stompy shoes, whatever it is they manage to run under.

Jaysan said...

I guess since you can't use the strap the old way...

Allknowingjen said...

Well, I haven't yet fallen from my high horse so you should just be quiet down there so I can enjoy the viewthankyouverymuch.
I'm in the kids don't need leashes camp, but I have seen many many mothers that I usually agree with fall to the practicality. And? If I have learned anything by becoming a mom, it's that you should never say never or THAT VERY THING is going to be the next thing your child does.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

I hear you, AKJ. I have to say I always thought they looked funny, but didn't have strong pro/con feelings until my little one got mobile and I was contemplating a long airplane trip with connections alone with her. That's when I first bought the leash, thinking it'd just be for then when I'd really need to be careful and keep tabs on her but couldn't carry her all the time.

And then I used it in the mall or someplace just to try it out.

And then I realized how much easier it would make my life to be able to let her walk and not have to try to hold her slippery little hand. With the leash she can wander just a little farther away so she feels more independent, but I don't have to worry about her letting go of my hand and taking off running.

I do still think that the leash alone is not the answer, and that Pumpkin will need to learn now to stay close to Mommy or Daddy when we're out places, but at two we're still at the beginning stages of training on that one. She's good for staying right next to me and the car in the parking lot, and then holding my hand on the way across the lot, so that's a start.

But the leash? Yeah, gotta admit, it makes my life easier.

(But I'm not planning on buying this, either... *grin*
http://www.gearlog.com/2006/11/
tech_for_tots_keep_your_baby_s.php)