Thursday, November 30, 2006

Ze nursing, she is done

I don't know why that had to be in a fake French accent, but there it is.

Meimei has decided to remove herself from the boob. We secretly think Kitten took her aside to tell her what a chump she was, that if she just held out we would give her a bottle.

After my cystoscopy, they gave me three days of preventive antibiotics (since they had just shoved a camera into my bladder), and then you have to allow two days for them to leave your system. I had not been warned that this was coming, not that it would have mattered. But Meimei never got back to nursing as well after that last stint on the bottle.

Maybe it was because she was becoming more aware and figured out it was easier. Maybe I wasn't persistant enough. Maybe I should have pumped more during the 5 days I had to (although, to be fair, feeding and entertaining two small children doesn't leave much time left over for hooking myself up to the milking machine for 20-40 minutes every few hours). Maybe it was because Pants started feeding her with a larger nipple so it "wouldn't take so long." Whatever it was, she has decided to reject nursing and switch herself to a bottle.

So after 3 months, we are no longer breastfeeding. I am stopping completely today so that my milk dries up and I no longer have to wear nursing bras and breast pads for a kid I am forcing to nurse for 5 minutes a day. I would like to go to bed without a bra for the first time in nearly a year. I would like to do this all at once so as not to prolong the uncomfortable fullness that is currently only in one breast but will most surely be in both by the end of the evening.

So that's it. It's on to the bottle. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.

3 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

Don't second guess yourself with all the maybes- it is what it is. 3 months is GREAT! (and better than the first time around too right?) 3 months is nothing to sneeze at- especially with the extra surgeries/tests and the antibiotics thrown in. In fact, most nursing moms I know would say that the first 2-3 months are the hardest and it's all downhill from there, so it's not like if you nurse longer you get the golden boob award or something. Be proud of how long you were able to nurse. I hope the weaning is not painful for you!

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Ok, I had this nice long comment for you yesterday, but the funny word verification didn't work. So now I can't remember what I all had to say that was so dang important.

But anyway, I have to agree that pumping was my least favorite part of nursing. Trying to find the 20 minutes before school, at prep, and at the end of the day was tough, and then you've got the cleaning and sanitation and bottles to deal with on top of it. It's more work than bottles or breastfeeding alone.

Not to be discouraging about it - I'm glad I did it, and would do it again - but Pumpkin also HATED bottles, so nursing was her mode of choice. And I can't say I've got any advice about quitting cold turkey - Pumpkin's feedings were decreased gradually over months since she was eating real food, so I never had to deal with the fullness/pressure.

So congrats on getting in three months and best of luck with it all.

Anonymous said...

Good luck hon. You did well. I must say that I had some issues when I quit using the pump so I kind of have been there. The little one was drinking much less than I had decided I needed to pump so I had some major leakage issues. Don't worry though, it didn't last too long.