Sunday, April 08, 2007

My children are awesome

As usual, when we think we might be going somewhere on a weekend day, like somewhere for a holiday or some kind of planned event, Kitten decides not to nap. It's not like we didn't give her an opportunity, or that we brought her up from the kid after a half hour or so. No. The kid talked in her crib for 90 full minutes before we decided it was too late and she wasn't going to do it. It was already after 2:00. so a nap now meant we would be very late indeed.

So we just got her up and dressed, loaded up the car, and went to MIL's for family dinner. I considered bowing out due to my 6th cold coming on, but we went anyway, thinking we were in for some world class meltdowns, since Meimei was due for a nap at the time of departure as well and didn't sleep in the car on the way there as expected.

And...nothing. The girls were great. We could tell Kitten hadn't slept because she was running on crazy fumes, but other than that, no meltdowns, not a lot of naughtiness. She did get a couple of timeouts, but mostly because she forgot the new rules of not going up the stairs and not banging on the TV. She even took the timeouts pretty well.

And Meimei was a dream, as usual. Cute and personable, happy and talking. No fussing except when the cousins yelled back at their parents. Scared her. Hmmm. Doesn't hear much of that kind of yelling here.

My kids are great. They are well-behaved and easily corrected when they aren't. And I would like to think I had something to do with that, not that it's just luck or good temperament.

In fact, I know Kitten could easily go south if we weren't diligent about discipline. So I think we must be doing something right. That we must be good enough. Which is really my goal.

No comments: