Sunday, April 15, 2007

To vegetable or not to vegetable...

So yesterday, at Landscapapalooza, I'm staring at my blank piece of graph paper and everyone is trying to help me figure out how to fill the space, and Ang asks me, "So, what do you want to use your yard for?" I think I gave her a blank look, but mentally I was smacking my head. Duh!

The theory is, figure out what you want to do IN you your and then map it into your plan. As in, do you want a vegatable garden? Do you want to grow roses? Do you intend to plant fruit trees? Do you need a long patch of grass for lawn jarts? Horseshoe pits? Pitching a tent? Roasting marshmallows? How so you want to use your yard?

So here it is. This is what I want to do in with my yard:

I want a rain garden down in the front corner at the end of the bike path and maybe another in the dip on the right side of the lawn.
I want a shade garden on the side of the garage where there is no sun and no grass will grow. I want to put a place to sit and read in that garden.
Pants is building his firepit in the back already. He also wants a place to pitch a tent and camp out with the girls.
I want to put lattice around the bottom of the deck and grow beans and peas and maybe some grapes or hops.
Pants wants a Pear tree.
I want Peonies and maybe hydrangeas. Maybe a climbing vine up the sunny side of the house.
We want a hot tub.
We want a bigger shed.
I want a walking path up the right side of the house, broken up by areas of what appears to be old growth.

But this year, I just want the ugly front bushes torn out and plant something that makes it look like we give a damn.

Is that too much to ask?

3 comments:

Happy Veggie said...

*sniff* *sniff* I missed landscapalooza... I was totally thinking of you guys while I was in the hospital.

Pusher said...

Oh hey, speaking of that pear tree, I didn't even think to check whether the one the Arbor Foundation sells requires a cross-pollinator. If it does, there are several other Zone 4 pears — they'll just probably cost more than the ones you can get through the Arbor F.

Your list is so much cooler than mine. What I want from my yard goes something like this: Lots of things to eat, no grass to mow.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had someone to plan my landscaping with! It sounds like you have lots of plans for your space. I'd like a gazebo, fruit trees, flowers, vegetables, a hot tub,... well, I have lots of plans. Anyway my main goal for this year would just be some nice grass. I am tired of livng on a sand pit! We also have much stick and rock picking to do so we don't damage our equipment. Fun.