Saturday, April 28, 2007

Raking my troubles away

For a small town preacher's kid with no discernible job, Ariel in Footloose sure seems to have quite a bit of disposable income. Boombox and contraband music cassettes. Skin-tight pleather pants. Red cowboy boots. Music box for boyfriend she hasn't even kissed yet. Hmm.

I went grocery shopping today and alas, bought two canvas bags branded with the Cub logo (although they were 2 for $7) and a pair of barbecue tongs. Not necessary, not food. But items that were cheaper than what I was going to buy on purchase day, and I wanted to avoid using the plastic bags. I figured I could wait to buy the bags online because they wouldn't get here in time for me to go grocery shopping anyway, but then there they were, at the checkout. So I guess I am not counting them as against the rules. Although they really probably are.

But I was distracted today by Kitten being ill. In fact, if she sounds as bad tomorrow morning with the wheezing and shallow breathing as she did today, we're going to urgent care. At the end of the day, when she went to bed, I was so DONE I was freaking out. So I went out and raked the lawn. Only about half of the front, but it was so nice.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but I used to clean when I got mad or stressed. I did a lot of cleaning the year I dated Dan. Anyway, I use to clean like a mad woman when I got mad. And this evening, as I raked and wondered why I got the urge to do it, I remembered that. And I thought maybe, just maybe, this is the answer to my buying urges. Maybe when I'm getting itchy to make a stupid purchase, I can do a little cleaning or some gardening and it will calm my nerves. I don't know how that will help me at work with Target just one block away calling my name, but it's worth a shot at home. It's better than online window-shopping like some drunk hanging out in a bar hoping to get high on second-hand liquor fumes.

1 comment:

Happy Veggie said...

Next time you get really angry, let me know. I have a laundry room full of clothes that don't fit that has your name on it.