Sunday, April 22, 2007

Updates

I haven't posted much on my 30 days of no purchasing because the last week or so has been frighteningly easy. I went to Sam's Club and bought only diapers. Didn't even really look at anything else. Normally I would've been in there for hours. Went to Babies R Us and bought a case of formula. Didn't really look at anything else. My only slips have been a gardening magazine from the aisle at the grocery store (a real disappointment anyway) and the clothes from Carters. I'm even starting to rethink People.

I am starting to consider what I will do when the time is up. I'm thinking of setting two days per month on which all purchasing (other than food) will be done. Everything goes on a list for those two days. If there is nothing on the list, nothing gets bought and we wait for the next purchasing day. This way, purchases have to be planned out and we have to think ahead about gifts and other such things. No more last minute runs to the store for cards, gifts, gift-bags, wrapping paper, etc. No more last minute runs for dress clothes, pantyhose, etc. because we didn't think about it enough in advance.

I think the next plan is to work out parking and lunches on work days. We are doing much better eating at home during the week and on weekends, it's just the money we spend at work now. This is where we are bleeding money, so it's the next thing to go. We're actually doing quite well, money-wise, we just have to get really serious about budgeting now with our daycare expense, which basically is a second mortgage every month.

My garden plans have come together for the year too, thanks to Pusher. I have the front of the house mapped out (the front only) and I have a plan started for the rest of the yard. Pants is going to buy a chainsaw with the Home Depot gift card so we can get started on the trees and shrubs.

3 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

The 2 days a month thing is a good idea. I know that once I was at home, I really had to be sure I wasn't going to Target too often (and/or without a list) I know there was a stretch there when I was visiting once or twice a week and the checkbook just can't take that kind of abuse.

Syl said...

Target announced today that their April revenue is off by way more than the 2-4% they predicted, and we're sure it's because of my 30 days...

Pusher said...

Yay! I'm glad it's been so easy for you! Just goes to show you have more power over it than you thought. Good for you!

As for the gardening plans, that was really all you -- all I did was point out bloom times. Such fun, exciting ideas! I can't wait to see the teeny red dicentra. They just sound so cute.

(Also, Target revenue: Hee!)